The Medical Director of the Year Award recognizes those individuals whose vision, passion, leadership, knowledge, and commitment succeed in taking patient care in the facilities they serve as medical director to exceptional levels of quality, excellence, and innovation. AMDA asks facility staff and their interdisciplinary leaders to identify and nominate outstanding medical directors who are:
- A physician in good standing with the community and profession;
- An AMDA member in good standing;
- A Certified Medical Director (CMD);
- An experienced medical director (3 or more years);
- An experienced attending physician in a nursing facility(ies);
- A proven team leader;
- A proven clinical leader;
- Involved in community activities; and
- An effective educator.
Submitting Nominations for Medical Director of the Year Award
We will begin taking nominations for the 2020 Medical Director of the Year in August 2019.
The 2020 Medical Director of the Year will be announced at the AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute & Long-Term Care Medicine Annual Conference 2020, in Chicago, IL, April 2-5, 2020. For details on the conference visit www.paltcmedicine.com.
AMDA-The Society asks nursing facilities and their interdisciplinary leaders to identify outstanding medical directors. The Medical Director of the Year award recognizes those individuals whose vision, passion, leadership, knowledge, and commitment succeed in taking patient care to exceptional levels of quality, excellence, and innovation.
Nominations require description/activities in the following categories: Team leadership; Clinical leadership; Education of facility staff; and Community involvement.
The nominations from previous finalists included the following characteristics:
- Offered multiple examples of activities that demonstrated excellence in each category (e.g., 3-5 in each category, unless otherwise instructed);
- Submitted by multiple facility leaders (e.g., Administrator and DON);
- Included quantifiable examples of success with measured outcomes (e.g., Implemented a program that reduced falls by 18%); and
- Incorporated psycho-emotional components (e.g., How he/she makes staff, colleagues, and patients feel).
Before you get started, consider the following:
- Review AMDA’s Role and Responsibilities of the Medical Director and compile examples of how your medical director fulfills these;
- Cite examples of how your medical director interacts with the interdisciplinary team; and
- Gather examples of the everyday contributions he/she makes as well as those times they were exceptional.
NOTE: Don’t forget to let your medical director know that you nominated him/her. You’ll make their day if not their year.